CHOPTANK, Vietnam — For the last month, the U.S. military has been sending thousands of troops and military contractors to the Philippines to try to boost its cell service, but so far, the Philippines has not seen much of an improvement in the country’s coverage.
The military has already sent about 2,000 troops to bolster the Philippines’ cell coverage, but according to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, it will be a long-term effort.
“I will say from now on, the army is going to make sure that we are all on cell coverage everywhere,” Duterte told a press conference in Manila on Tuesday.
“It’s going to take a long time, but the army will do it.”
The Philippines has about 1.2 million people who live under its coverage of the global 3G cellphone network.
As of June 30, the country was using just 0.01 percent of its 3G capacity, according to a report by research firm CCS Insight.
But Duterte’s comments were not only the latest example of his country’s poor coverage of cell service.
According to CCS, the coverage of mobile phones in the Philippines is only about 10 percent of the U and European Union nations.
It also found that just 7.5 percent of Filipinos own a cellphone.
“The Philippine mobile market is one of the most underdeveloped and undervalued in the world,” CCS noted.
“In a country with such high levels of poverty, with a GDP of only $1.6 billion, mobile service is simply not a priority.”
The U.N. agency has urged the Philippine government to improve the Philippines mobile coverage.
In September, the agency said it would launch a pilot program to improve coverage for 1.3 million people.
“We are confident that the Philippine Government will lead the way in addressing this important issue,” the agency’s secretary general, Luis Moreno, told a news conference in New York last month.
The Philippines, which has the highest population density in Southeast Asia, has a long history of problems with its cell coverage.
At one point in the last century, it was said that the Philippines had the worst mobile network in the entire world.
According a report published by the Philippine Telecommunications Regulatory Commission, the Philippine mobile network is ranked as the worst in the region by a global panel of experts.
The network is only 1.1 percent mobile coverage, which is the lowest in the Asia-Pacific region.
“You will find many countries in the Southeast Asia region that have mobile networks that are not as good as the Philippines,” CTS said.
“So you have to have a very strong and effective network in order to get the kind of coverage that you need.”
While the Philippines government is continuing to try and improve its mobile coverage after the country experienced poor coverage during the Philippine military’s “war on drugs,” its network remains plagued with problems.
The Philippine mobile provider, Telcel, says it is working to solve some of the problems, but it’s not the only provider to have problems.
“Telcel is working very closely with the Philippine Ministry of Communications, the Communications Ministry, to improve mobile coverage in the areas of security, health and education,” Telcel spokesman Alex Marquez told ABC News.
“And we will be working with the Ministry of Education, the Ministry [of Health] and others as well to solve these problems.”
Marquez said that Telcel is currently working with Telcel to get some of these problems fixed, but that the government’s priority should be on improving coverage.
“That’s what we are focused on right now,” he said.
But the Philippines seems to have an even more pressing issue on its hands: the shortage of basic foodstuffs.
While the government is trying to solve the problems plaguing its mobile network, the problems in the Philippine countryside have caused some of its citizens to have to ration their food supplies.
“This year, we have already seen that people are already rationing their food.
I am in the market selling vegetables and fruits.
We are even selling rice,” said farmer Jang.
“There is a shortage of rice.
The rice we have is going bad,” he added.
“People are getting very sick.
The typhoons have left their mark, and people are suffering.
They are trying to conserve food.
We have to stop that.”
For now, Marquez says the government has made the right decision in implementing its emergency plan to reduce food prices in the short-term.
“When the government starts to solve its problems, then we will find solutions.
We will solve this in the long term.
We need to solve our problems before we have to solve ours,” he told ABC.
“But for now, we will not give up.”
The Philippine government also said it is in the process of developing a new cellphone network that would include a nationwide network of more than 5,000 towers and 2,500 cell sites.
“While we are developing a mobile network for the country